Chaas or Buttermilk
Updated: May 4, 2018
Chaas or buttermilk is made by churning fresh curds/dahi and cold water together, using blander or wooden mathani (whipper). This can be consumed as it is or seasoned with a variety of spices. This healthy and delicious curd based drink is a nice beverage or can be served with meals also. It’s also a great way to cool off when the heat is unbearable. The curd will cool your stomach and soothe any irritation, while the ginger and spices will help tackle the acidity. It contain plenty of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants apart from calcium.
1 cup Curd
1 tsp black salt
1 tsp. chaat masala
1 tsp. grated ginger
2 green chilies,
A pinch asafoetida (hing)
Salt to taste
A few curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tb Sp. chopped Mint leaves
1 cup Water
How to Make-
• Put the green chilies, coriander,mint leaves, ginger and 2-3 curry leaves in a mixer and blend them until a smooth paste.
• In a blander add curd, water, green paste, chaat masala, black salt, salt, and asofoetida and ice cubes and blend ,until smooth.
• Pour this mixture into a glass..
• Chill in the refrigerator.
• Garnish with mint leave and serve.
Step by Step recipe of Chaas or Buttermilk -
1. Put the green chilies, coriander,mint leaves, ginger and 2-3 curry leaves in a mixer and blend them until a smooth paste.
2. In a blander add curd, water, green paste, chaat masala, black salt, salt, and asafoetida and ice cubes and blend ,until smooth.
3.Pour this mixture into a glass. Garnish with mint leave and serve chilled.