Home made Thandai Spice mix Powder
Updated: May 4, 2018
Thandai is a traditional Indian milk based cold drink. It is very popular in North India and mainly served during Holi and Maha Shivratri festival. This drink is cool and refreshing, prepared with a combination of healthy dry nuts like almonds, poppy seeds, melon seeds and flavored with fragrant spices like pepper corn, green fennel and green cardamom. It has a unique flavor and a fresh aroma also
Thandai Mix is easily available in market, but I choose to make this Thandai Masala at home is for a raeson.
Some brands available in market have a synthetic tastes and flavor because of chemical colors or preservatives. Can't we make our Thandai at home with our own Spice Mix powder in a minute. It will be really healthy and fresh. Secondly, we can make the perfect combination of nuts and spices, stored in airtight container which be used in a variety of different desserts, drinks and baked items like cakes.
In India we drink Thandai on Holi for its lots of health benefits. This season is the beginning of summer and nuts and spices in Thandai maintain good health during the season change. Nuts give us energy, spices have so many ingredients and minerals and increase immunity, help us fight against infections, fennel and saffron prevent indigestion, watermelon seeds are one of the best sources of protein and iron. So Power up your summer with this golden drink. If you have lactose intolerance, use coconut milk or soya milk instead of normal milk.
Home made Thandai Powder- Ingredients- 1/4 cup Almonds 1/4 cup cashew nuts 1/4 cup Pistachios 15 to 25 Black peppercorns 10 Green cardamom 2 tbsp Melon seeds 1 tbsp poppy seeds 2 tbsp fennel seeds 15-20 Saffron strands 2 tbsp Rose petals 1/2 tsp Nutmeg powder 1/2 cup. Sugar
How to make-
1. Dry roast all spices and nuts. 2. Grind all Ingredients in clean and dry grinder and make fine powder. 3. Sift powder in a clean and dry sieve. 4. Grind remaining chunks again and sift until everything is grind into fine powder. 5. Store in airtight container up to two months and in refrigerator for up-to six months.
Tips- 1. Make sure all the ingredients are dry. 2. Use clean and dry spoons and keep the lid tightly closed. 3. Make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature and measured correctly.
1. Dry roast all spices and nuts.
2. Grind all Ingredients in clean and dry grinder and make fine powder.
3. Sift powder in a clean and dry sieve.
4. Grind remaining chunks again and sift until everything is grind into fine powder, Store in airtight container up to two months and up to six months in refrigerator.